Friday, October 03, 2008

UNC chancellor blogging about the Old North State

Those that know me know I'm not a huge fan of Carolina blue. But I have to commend new UNC-Chapel Hill Chancellor Holden Thorp for his latest endeavor: blogging about his experiences traveling the state to get to know North Carolina.

His blog, holden.unc.edu, gives insight to what he sees as he travels across the state.

"As I begin my tenure as Carolina's chancellor, this blog will help me share thoughts, ideas and news about how the university is fulfilling its commitment to our students and to our state," Thorp wrote on the blog.

"Thorp began posting his impressions Monday from a visit to Tom Herndon's authentic research class at Chapel Hill High School," says the News & Observer. "A second post covers stops Tuesday at UNC-Asheville and Jenny Thomas' Advanced Placement chemistry class at Asheville High School."

His most recent involves a visit to Charlotte.

"One of the students asked what made Carolina students so different from students at other universities," he wrote. " I fumbled around with some general statements and then finally said, 'They love the university, and they love each other.'"
(Photo from UNC.edu.)

1 comment:

James C. said...

What the hell is an "authentic research class?" Useless curriculum must be the norm over there in Chapel Hill, even in the high schools.

This whole time, I've been doing my research in an un-authentic fashion!