Wednesday, June 12, 2019

A pretty spot-on look at ENC place names



{Thanks to @devinwooddd for sharing this!}

I stumbled across this on Twitter last week or so, and I about spit out my Cheerwine. I've long been a "student" of North Carolina place name pronunciations, but this was a new one to me. Among my favorites on this VERY technical map are:
  • Wattvul  (Whiteville)
  • Walss (Wallace)
  • Lanic Ocean (Atlantic Ocean)
  • Taybsitta (Tabor City)
  • Surfsitta (Surf City)
  • Clinnun (Clinton)
  • Fedvull (Fayetteville)
  • Wore-sall (Warsaw)

These are all pretty darn spot on. The only one I really take issue with is:
B'yoola-vull 

I have always heard the "-ville" pronounced as such, as in "Byoo-la-ville." Looking at Fayetteveill and Whiteville, that may be the only one, though.

What are your favorites?


Related: We Talk Funny: Place Names

1 comment:

RyanG said...

This is hilarious! Do they have this map for the entire state? They have to have "durm". Lol