Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Enjoy the majesty of the Shackleford wild horses

There's a poignant scene in "Nights in Rodanthe" (yes, I admit I've seen it) where Diane Lane's character finally -- after apparently many, many years of waiting -- sees the Banker ponies along the Outer Banks. They are a sight to behold.

This video (courtesy of YouTube.com via my mother) is a wonderful one that discusses the Shackleford Banks wild horses, in Carteret County.

As I've said before, I've often loved standing along the edge of the water in Beaufort, looking across to the islands, hoping to get a glimpse of these wonderful animals.

If you are interested in helping to support the care of these creatures, click here. You could even adopt one of them, I believe!

(Photo courtesy of the wild horses foundation)

No comments: