Monday, February 02, 2009

Nothin' could be finer ...

If you grew up in North Carolina (and probably in South Carolina too, I would suspect), then your elementary school's music class probably sung the ditty "Carolina in the Morning" at least once or twice.

The song is one of those tunes like "My Country, 'Tis of Thee" (or even "America The Beautiful" or "This Land is Your Land," for that matter) that we seemed to sing at least once a week in 4th or 5th grade but that I've rarely heard a note of since.

The chorus is one that most people, even non-Carolinians, seem to know: "Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning/No one could be sweeter than my sweetie when I meet her in the morning." But how many people actually know the melody and the words to the rest of it?

Well, here they are, the words at least. (For the melody, here's Al Jolson doing it way back when.) This way, if someone asks you to belt out "Carolina in the Morning," you have no excuse.

(from Wikipedia)

First verse
Wishing is good time wasted,
Still it's a habit they say;
Wishing for sweets I've tasted,
That's all I do all day.
Maybe there's nothing in wishing,
But speaking of wishing I'll say:

Chorus
Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning,
No one could be sweeter than my sweetie when I meet her in the morning.
Where the morning glories
Twine around the door,
Whispering pretty stories
I long to hear once more.
Strolling with my girlie where the dew is pearly early in the morning,
Butterflies all flutter up and kiss each little buttercup at dawning,
If I had Aladdin's lamp for only a day,
I'd make a wish and here's what I'd say:
Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina in the morning.

Second verse
Dreaming was meant for nighttime,
I live in dreams all the day;
I know it's not the right time,
But still I dream away.
What could be sweeter than dreaming,
Just dreaming and drifting away.
(Repeat Chorus)

2 comments:

Sonja Foust said...

We had a community bowl called the Redlands Bowl (like the Hollywood Bowl, only smaller) where I grew up, and there was a sing-along before every performance in the summer. Carolina in the Morning was one of the songs, even though the bowl was in California. :) Otherwise, I probably wouldn't know it at all. My favorite from that era was the four leaf clover song. "I'm looking over a four leaf clover that I overlooked before..."

M. Lail said...

I had forgotten that song!