Monday, March 17, 2008

Another 'C' becoming a 'U'

Wouldn't you just know: I go and buy my dad a Lenoir-Rhyne College sweatshirt, and lo and behold, LRC is changing to LRU.

"The board of Lenoir-Rhyne College has voted to change the school's name to Lenoir-Rhyne University," says the Charlotte Observer. "The new name, which was approved Saturday, 'better reflects the expanded offerings the college is planning to pursue,' said Margaret Allen, associate director of marketing and communications."

The move was recommended by a commission created to examine the possible expansion of the 117-year-old college, she said. The change will take time to implement; officials hope to put it into effect in late August.

Among other initiatives, the school is planning to add academic programs and degrees, launching some major construction and renovation projects and is adding a residential neighborhood with houses for sororities, fraternities and other groups.

I'm not sure how I feel about this. Granted, I attended a large state university, but I've always romanticized the thought of the small colleges. To me, Elon University just doesn't carry the same cache as Elon College. Same goes for LRC, my father's alma mater. And I've never gotten over Elon changing its mascot ...

2 comments:

James C. said...

I'm still bitter about the State College switch...maybe I should let it go by now.

M. Lail said...

I, on the other hand, prefer it to still be NC A&M!