Wednesday, February 07, 2007

RPI in N.C.

The Rating Percentage Index (RPI) has been used by the NCAA since 1981 to supplement theselection of at-large teams and the seeding of allteams for the NCAA basketball tournament.

Here are how the teams in North Carolina rank in the RPI rankings through Sunday:

2. North Carolina
8. Duke
45. Appalachian State
71. Davidson
106. N.C. State
124. Wake Forest
144. UNC Charlotte

There are 336 Division I teams, so these teams are in the bottom half of the sport:

189. High Point
193. UNC Greensboro
239. UNC Wilmington
242. Western Carolina
270. Elon
273. Gardner-Webb
278. North Carolina A&T
282. UNC Asheville
292. Winston-Salem State (first season in Division I)
295. Campbell
312. East Carolina

3 comments:

M. Lail said...

I'm shocked to see Appy State ahead of all those teams!

I hope this is a regular feature!

Kevin Brewer said...

Appalachian has played a tough schedule, playing four ACC teams -- losses to Clemson, Wake Forest and Virginia Tech and a win over Virginia.

Kevin Brewer said...

Oh, glad you said that. I will do my best to make it a regular feature.