Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Washington's Wilkins to the Hall of Fame

As I've stated before, basketball is a HUGE part of North Carolina's culture. (You can file that under "Duh!") So it's always a big story when a North Carolinian achieves basketball success.

Washington's Dominique Wilkins will soon be enshrined into the Naismith Basketball Hall of Fame in Springfield, Mass. The fact that it took him two years to earn it should not diminish the achievement for the "Human Highlight Reel."

"The former Washington Pam Pack star, who helped guide the Pack to consecutive state basketball titles in the late 1970s, will be officially inducted into the Hall of Fame during the enshrinement weekend, Sept. 7-9, in Springfield, Mass.," said the Washington Daily News.

“It was long overdue, but it was worth the wait,” Wilkins said in a recent phone interview. “It’s hard to describe in words what it really means. It’s the ultimate tribute to a player on this level.” ...

Current Hall of Fame member Julius “Dr. J” Erving will present Wilkins.

“It’s a great honor for me because I patterned my life after Dr. J,” Wilkins said. “I patterned my life after his during basketball and after basketball. “He’s bringing me into an elite group of basketball players and this only comes around once in a lifetime.”

For more on Wilkins' stellar, Hall of Fame career, read the rest of the story.

No comments: