Tuesday, July 18, 2006

Curle: Proud of his N.C. heritage

Willow Spring's James Curle -- friend, father, husband, slick photographer, writer, barbecue cooker and charter Society member -- recently posted some terrific comments on his MySpace site about how proud he is of his North Carolina heritage.

James' point of reflection was his annual pig pickin', which was held at the Curle homestead.

"There was a moment I enjoyed, briefly, right after the last person through the line had come for their serving of pork," he writes. "As I wiped the grease from my hands, I looked out across my yard at the folks who'd come to visit with us that day, the setting sun filtering through the oak tree by the cooker. ...

"It was in that moment that I was thankful to be alive, to be free, and to be a North Carolinian. Nothing brings folks together in harmony like good food. No food is greater in my mind that pulled pork with plenty of fixins', and no pulled pork on the planet can compared to that from a N.C. pig cooked outdoors on a nice cooker. ...

"I am a North Carolina native, born of other North Carolina natives, and these days in my part of the State that's a rare commodity. I take great pride in all things of The Old North State. I was the kid that drank the coolaid in 4th Grade when we learned about North Carolina history (even if my end-of-year project sucked out loud). I loved learning about the cardinal, the box turtle, the dogwood flower, the longleaf pine, the fall line, the piedmont, Ocracoke, Croatan, etc...this is my home, and I'm proud of it."

Couldn't have said it better myself, James.

You can read the piece in its entirety here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Man, that almost brought tears to my eyes. I HAD to read the rest of it. That's the best thing I've read on this site in a while!

Anonymous said...

What a great article!! I too almost had tears in my eyes!